Different countries have different degrees of street coverage in OSM. In India the total roads digitized were approximately 1 Million kms in 2016, or about 130,000 kms/yr. In comparison, the estimated total length of all roads in India was about 5.5 Million kms in 2015, according to the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways. This number was about 4.1 Million kms in 2008 when mapping in OpenStreetMap in India began. Rural roads in OpenStreetMap have a lower level of coverage compared to urban areas.
![Missing Maps India image](https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/06/OpenStreetMap_roads_coverage_in_India.png =450x260)
The goal of this project is to improve the coverage of rural roads in Open Street Map (India), beginning with Pune district. Explore the coverage of Pune district against roads visible in satellite imagery here. The priority will be to identify all roads connecting settlements. Roads that are not clearly recognizable can be ignored.
Created by Craig Dsouza - Updated - Priority: medium
- Entities to Map
- Changeset Comment
- #hotosm-project-89 #rural-roads #pune #highway When saving your work, please leave the default comment but add what you actually mapped, for example "added buildings and a residential road".
- Select a task - i.e. a village in Pune district with some roads already mapped within the boundaries and click Start Mapping
- Use iD Editor if you are new to using Open Street Map and use
Digital Globe Standardas the imagery source.
- The Highway tag is the default tag for any road in Open Street Map. See this page for highway tags used in OSM India. In cases where the road directly connects to a State Highway, use the tag
Highway=secondary. Else use
Highway=tertiary(for a tar road) OR
- Start digitizing - select
Lineat the top of the map. Connect existing roads to unconnected settlements in the village. Wherever roads cross each other make sure the nodes intersect too.
- Add Tags - once you have marked a stretch of road, press Enter. On the left panel you should see options for road features. Click on this to find
Minor\Unclassifiedas relevant). Then add Village name and Census code as a tag
is_in:village = Village Name,Census Code. Once done, you can then select the ✓at the top to complete editing the feature.
- Repeat until all settlements in the village have been connected.
- Save - Click Save at the top of the map. Leave any additional comments you may have in addition to the default changeset comments
- Return to Tasking Manager - if you have completed digitizing all the roads within the village click Mark Task as Done, else click Stop Mapping